Baton Rouge Gallery is now accepting applications for new artist members!
Baton Rouge Gallery is a professional, non-profit, contemporary art gallery, founded in 1966. When it first opened its doors, its 12 artist members represented some of the most respected visual artists in the region. Today, the same is true, though its artist membership has grown to include nearly 60 artists working in a wide array of media.
One of the many things that sets BRG apart from other organizations in the region is that its artist membership is endowed with the ability to have a strong voice in how the organization responds to the changing landscape of contemporary art nationally and locally. Many artistic decisions, ranging from which special exhibitions to host to which artists are invited to join the gallery, are made by the existing artist members. This allows gallery visitors to get a different perspective than they might experience at other major institutions or commercial galleries.
Interested in being a part of BRG? Download the application (Microsoft Word or PDF).
Deadline: September 14, 2016
Application fee: $35
Artist Member Annual Requirements
- Artists pay annual dues of $100.
- Artists must participate in at least one group exhibition per year and exhibit in a two, three, four or five person show every three years. The Group show traditionally occurs in November, but other exhibition opportunities are available throughout the year.
- Artists must submit to a review by the Artists’ Screening Committee every five (5) years in order to retain membership.
- Applications for artist membership are reviewed once a year in October (call 225/383-1470 for specific dates). Applications are received between noon and 6:00 p.m., Tuesday through Sunday at the Gallery offices (1515 Dalrymple Drive). Applicants will be notified of the Artists’ Screening Committee’s decision approximately one month after submission of application.
- Applicants who meet the following requirements will be considered eligible to compete for membership in Baton Rouge Gallery
- No student work or work executed under other supervision will be considered.
- Professional experience must reflect evidence of participation in professional juried exhibitions, awards, commissions, grants, fellowships, etc.
A completed application must include:
- A current resume (two copies)
- 10 to 20 digital images of current work on one CD (No Slides)
- An accompanying image identification page
- Two actual pieces of completed art work
- Completed biographical overview sheet
- Artist statement
- A check covering the $35 application fee
Applicants will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Quality and consistency of craftsmanship
- Ability to maintain a consistent conceptual focus within a body of work
- Quality of presentation regarding resume, digital images and actual work
- Professional experience