Baton Rouge Gallery is now accepting applications for new artist members!
Baton Rouge Gallery is a professional, non-profit, contemporary art gallery, founded in 1966. The Gallery is dedicated to the purposes of community cultural education, audience development and promotion of individual professional artists.
Most artistic decisions, such as special exhibit selections and artist membership changes are made by the existing artist members. Administrative decisions are made by the Gallery’s director and board of directors. The Gallery staff is responsible for all publicity (press releases, exhibition announcements, etc.) regarding Gallery activities and programs. The Gallery director also acts as a liaison between the general public and the artists, making available information and opportunities to interested artists.
Interested in being a part of BRG? DOWNLOAD the application in full (Microsoft Word file).
Deadline: October 10, 2013
Artist Member Annual Requirements
- Artists must pay annual dues of $100. Artists that perform cooperative volunteer service (serving on committees, etc.) will receive a $1 per hour credit towards the next years’ dues. Attendance at artist meetings will not be considered volunteer work.
- Artists must update their resumes, digital images and biographical sheet every year (by October 1st) in order to be eligible to exhibit during the year.
- Artists must participate in at least one group exhibition per year and exhibit in a two, three, four or five person show every three years. The Group show traditionally occurs in November, but other exhibition opportunities are available throughout the year.
- Artists must submit to a review by the Artists’ Screening Committee every five (5) years in order to retain membership.
- Applications for artist membership are reviewed once a year in October (call 225/383-1470 for specific dates). Applications are received between noon and 6:00 p.m., Tuesday through Sunday at the Gallery offices (1515 Dalrymple Drive). Applicants will be notified of the Artists’ Screening Committee’s decision approximately one month after submission of application.
- Applicants who meet the following requirements will be considered eligible to compete for membership in Baton Rouge Gallery
- No student work or work executed under other supervision will be considered.
- Professional experience must reflect evidence of participation in professional juried exhibitions, awards, commissions, grants, fellowships, etc.
A completed application must include:
- A current resume (two copies)
- 10 to 20 digital images of current work on one CD (No Slides)
- An accompanying image identification page
- Two actual pieces of completed art work
- Completed biographical overview sheet
- Artist statement
- A self-addressed, stamped envelop for the return of CDs (see specifics on Applications Materials List attached
Applicants will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Quality and consistency of craftsmanship
- Ability to maintain a consistent conceptual focus within a body of work
- Quality of presentation regarding resume, digital images and actual work
- Professional experience